Monday, November 06, 2006

Politricks 2006 Mix

Tomorrow is election day and here's the little mix of reggae tunes I compiled to put you in a voting kinda mood. I'll keep my political leanings and hearfelt belief that politicians are generally corrupt regardless of which party they represent to a minimum and just tell you what you're going to hear... First off, we're going to go a little more modern that I've been known to do with this blog and start the mix off with Buju Banton's song "Politics Time" from 1996. Next we've got a superb political song from Johnny Osbourne called "Politician" taken from his album called Warrior. Third we've got a relatively light-hearted take on voting from Clint Eastwood and General Saint and the song is called "Vote For Me" which appeared on their 1986 Greensleeves LP Stop That Train. Next is a great song from Leonard Dillon and The Ethiopians called "Misleaders" from the 1999 CD Tougher Than Stone. The fifth song is from the man Lovindeer. The song which originally appeared on his album Government Boops and talks about empty campaign promises in a light-hearted manner is called "Political Boops." Barry Brown follows that one up with a wicked tracks called "Politician" from his Best Of album. The second to last track is also called "Politician" from the Big Belly Man himself Admiral Bailey coming from a 12" on the Jammy's label, which I was finally able to track down after about 10 years of fruitless searching. I bought this various artists CD that contained the track and was sent the wrong damn CD and when I tried to return it for the proper album was informed that it was no longer available. Ending up the mix we've got Bob Marley & The Wailers with the song "Slogans" which often seems to be the only thing politicians are good at supplying.

I hope you like the mix. I hope you'll also see the correlation between these Jamaican political songs and all the corrupt slimeball politicians around the globe. We're all in the same boat!

If you're in the United States be sure to cast your ballot tomorrow! Hopefully you'll be able to elect a decent person who has got the public's best interest in mind and not someone who's only interested in lining their pockets or using their new position as a stepping stone for future nominations, further power, benefits and all the cyber or real sex with young interns and pages they can manage.


5 comments:

John AKA Reggaexx said...

Glad you like it Outta! The version of Johnny Osbourne's "Politician" is taken from the Winston Riley produced Warrior album on the Black Joy label from 1981. Osbourne and Riley also released Warrior on Riley's Techniques label in 1980, which is basically the same album but with the same tracks in a different order and a slightly different mix. The track on the Techniques album is actually referred to as "Mr. Politician."

John AKA Reggaexx said...

Thanks for the feedback - glad everyone is diggin' it! Outta - I have the Techniques version as well and when I was putting the mix together I originally plugged in the Techniques version but the Jamaican pressing I have is so rough sounding I went with the smoother sound off the Black Joy British release... Either way, it's an essential tune for this mix and it was definitely the first song that came to mind when I decided to put it together! I've actually had the song stuck in my head for over a week now and find myself singing it to myself non-stop... of course my voice is no where near as enjoyable to listen to as Mr. Osbourne's! :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice one mate, enjoying the mix!

I don't know a lot about US politrixs, but any scenario that sees the Bush madministration get a kick up the backside must have its positive side.

Peace...

You & Me on a Jamboree said...

nice blog!

John AKA Reggaexx said...

Hey Greg thanks for the compliment... I've got the same thing to say about You And Me On A Jamboree - a site that I visit on a daily basis! Thanks!