Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Day 81 of 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge - Don Carlos - Jah Hear My Plea

Born Ervin Spencer in 1952, the man who would later become known as Don Carlos, started his singing career in 1973 with Black Uhuru.  Carlos alongside Garth Dennis and Derrick "Ducky" Simpson received notable worldwide recognition in 1977 when Black Uhuru's album Love Crisis AKA Black Sounds Of Freedom, an album they had recorded for Prince Jammy, hit the street.   But Don Carlos didn't stick with the band and decided to give it a go as a solo performer and quickly became one of the sweetest voices of the early dancehall era and thankfully he is still active today!  The 81st track is called "Jah Hear My Plea" taken from his 1987 album Deeply Concerned on the RAS label.  An amazing song of struggle, perseverance and faith with an infectious rhythm that I know I'll have dancing around my head all day.

No comments: