Monday, June 13, 2016

Day 226 of 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge - The Jays & Ranking Trevor - Truly

Today's tune is a landmark!  No, I'm not talking about the fact that it's the 225th day in a row I've been doing this challenge, I'm talking about the record itself.  You see, today's tune "Truly" by The Jays and Ranking Trevor, released on vinyl in 1976 on the Channel One offshoot label Disco Mix, was the first Jamaican twelve-inch hit single!  While the first Jamaican 12" is credited to Lloyd Charmers and his song "Rhythm In Rhapsody" also released in '76 on the Wildflower label, it wasn't successful.  Today's track is the first to really have an impact.  And while the "extended mix" was fairly common with dance or club deejays at the time outside of Jamaica, the Jamaican take was to include both the vocal and deejay takes on the same riddim on the same side and an extended dub-wise version on the b-side.  The 12" format was not intended for the Jamaican buyer but used as a vehicle to export reggae outside of the island and believe me, my three sagging shelves in the living room packed with discomixes, can attest to the fact that they were pretty successful in doing so.  As a collector I love the hell outta my 12" singles!  So here it is, a truly groundbreaking record for your listening pleasure!

No comments: