Friday, March 25, 2016

Day 146 of 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge - John Holt - Tribal War

What can I say about the next tune that I probably haven't already said already?  In my opinion, this is one, if not thee, finest discomix to ever be captured on tape at Channel One... John Holt's take on Little Roy's "Tribal War," recorded and released on the Channel One label in 1978,  is one of the most cherished gems in my entire record collection.  Don't get me wrong, Little Roy's self-produced original, recorded in 1974 and released on the Tafari label is a great song but there is something about this Hoo Kim arrangement that seems to elevate "Tribal War" to a higher level.  It's the prevalence of the drum and bass, which may or may not be Sly & Robbie, and the funky drive of the organ throughout, that make it an all-time favorite of mine.  

 

No comments: