Monday, December 17, 2007

The Distinctly Jamaican Sounds Christmas Mix 2007 - Part 3

I've got 5 additional tunes to add some extra sparkle to your ears this Holiday season. And without a lot of fanfare I present to you the final installment of this years Distinctly Jamaican Sounds Christmas Mix!

Peter Broggs starts off the proceedings with his tune "Twelve Days Of Christmas" from the 1984 various artists album RAS Records Presents A Reggae Christmas. It's a good tune!

Next up is a bit of a ghetto reality check from Barrington Levy and his tune "Christmas Day" from his Junjo Lawes produced album from 1979 Shine Eye Gal on the Burning Sounds label. This song isn't exactly festive considering Levy recounts how he got robbed by some "rude boys" on Christmas Day but he does add an element of hope wishing that Jah may teach those who robbed him the error of their ways.

Up next is a ska-scorcher and one of my all-time favorite Jamaican Christmas tunes! It's the Wailers at Studio One with the song "Sound The Trumpet." This one is available on the 1992 Heartbeat release Reggae Christmas From Studio One and it never fails to put me in a festive mood!

The fourth track is also one of my favorites! Inna rub-a-dub style it's the man Little John and his tune from 1984 called "Save A Little For Christmas" from a 7" on the Junjo label. I'd never heard this song before this November and I was immediately rewarded when I picked up a nice clean copy at a fair price. Usually I'll find a song that I'd like to buy and spend the next year obsessively searching for it so I take it as a bonus that it came so easy! I hope you like it as much as I do!

The fifth and final track in the mix is taken from the King Jammy's Christmas Party album on the Jammy's label and it's by the man Ernest Wilson. A nice succinct way for me to personally express my warm wishes to all those who have been enjoying what I do here. It's called "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" and its not the traditional version you'd expect.

Distinctly Jamaican Sounds Christmas Mix - Part 3

I will be upping the entire uncut mix this Friday so that you can try and cram it all on one CDR for your last minute gift giving needs. It does make for a fine Christmas gift and to think you got it here for free! :-)

I wish you all a Merry Christmas, a healthy and prosperous New Year, good tidings, God's blessings and lots of love.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, look at all this great music just waiting to be plucked off the tree. I was amazed to see only one other person had taken advantage of this opportunity to hear these fine, timeless songs and mixes.

Lotta hard work here that deserves more attention and respect. I'm a big fan - keep it up!

Zenman

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you, thanks again for all the effort.

Best wishes to you and yours :)

Charlie said...

I wish you a Merry Ismas and an Irie New Year. Thanks for putting this together for us.

Anonymous said...

Tank you, bruddah! Have a most merry Christmas and a righteous New Year, Mon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God - I'd never even come across 'Sound the Trumpet' before. TOP TUNE, man. That has totally sweet me up fi Christmas, and I haven't even heard this section to the end.

From the heart, reggaexx - THANK YOU for all your hard work, and your willingness to share. Bless!!!!!