Friday, July 29, 2016

Day 272 of 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge - Purpleman - Feeling Irie

What the hell is wrong with me?!  It's nearly August and I've yet to feature any Purpleman?!  Let's make this right!  Purpleman AKA Peter Yellow, born Anthony Jones, was one of three albino Jamaican deejays who rose to popularity in Jamaica in the early 1980s alongside King Mellow Yellow and of course the great Yellowman.  Purpleman got his start deejaying on a heap of sound systems before recording his first album Hot under the guise of Peter Yellow for Prince Jammy and released on the Black Music label in 1982.  Let me put it to you this way, Purpleman is completely badass and it took me a long time to decide on which song I wanted to feature here because there are so many that I love so much and can nearly recite word for word so I decided on "Feeling Irie."  "Feeling Irie" was produced by Junjo Lawes and released as part of the classic 1982 Greensleeves album The Yellow, The Purple And The Nancy which featured Yellowman and Fathead, Purpleman and Sister Nancy.  Perfect song for heading into the weekend because I know when I roll out of work at 6PM tonight en route to a week-long staycation, I'll definitely be feeling irie!

No comments: