Monday, October 13, 2014

Jamaican Halloween Spooktacular 2014 - Track Nine - Addams Family Theme

We're back for another week of unadulterated terror... okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but you can be rest-assured that my heart is in the right place.  Besides, with this creepy, kooky, mysterious, spooky and all together ooky comic book cover it's obvious the terror is taking the day off.

The Addams Family, originally created by cartoonist Charles Addams, debuted as single-panel cartoons in 1938 and ran for the next 50 years, mostly in the New Yorker Magazine, until Addams' death in 1988.  During that time, the family of Gomez, Morticia, Uncle Fester, Lurch, Grandmama, Wednesday, Pugsley, Cousin Itt and Thing evolved from the one dimensional page into the two dimensional ABC sitcom that everyone remembers in 1964. 

I would guess it was around the height of the TV shows popularity that the JJ All Stars under the tutelage of producer Karl "Sir JJ" Johnson produced this ska take on the "Addams Family Theme" and regardless of the exact circumstances, I'm happy that he did and I'm even more delighted to finally include it in a Spooktacular!  I've known about this song for years and after fruitless years of searching for the vinyl, or even an MP3,  I gave up hope of ever hearing this long-lost treasure.  But in stepped Gordon "Gordy" Robertson, a helluva selector with an absolutely enviable stack of vinyl and all around nice guy, based in Sheffield England.  He kindly ripped me an MP3 from his vinyl copy and lo and behold we get to enjoy a tune that I had given up hope of ever even hearing!  So, thanks Gordy!!

 Spooktacular Track Nine - JJ All Stars - Addams Family Theme

1 comment:

Christofari said...

How do you do it, John?!

Yet another perfectly-on-theme rarity that's eluded me till now. This is why your blog rules so.
You just go from strength to strength. 'Tis God's work you're doin', me lad. All power to you, and thanks for these new treats.