Sunday, August 21, 2016

Day 295 of 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge - Prince Jazzbo - School

I'm dedicating this week to school and while I hate to do it because I find it absolutely ridiculous that kids here in Maryland have got to go back before September rolls around, there are just too many great "back to school" tunes to overlook.  But before we get to the music I need to express my condolences to all the kids out there, who like me when I was school age, dread the start of a new school year.  I was never one of those kids who would anxiously check the mailbox each day in late August for my class assignment, or willingly head-off to the mall in search of school clothes or even worse school supplies.  To me going back to school was without a doubt the single worst thing to happen to kids... to no longer have the luxury of sleeping late or running around all day and half the night without a care in the world and losing the ability to hang out in the living room watching The Price Is Right and downing a half-a-box of Cheerios in a soggy bathing suit before getting your day started, it seriously felt like the end of the world.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that all the way up until high school I would lie in bed the night before the first day of school and tears would come.  Not gut-wrenching sobbing or anything like that but just a few solitary tears and a sadness in my heart knowing that the party was over.  Returning to school felt like you had just been sentenced to a life term at San Quentin and worst of all it always felt like you were losing a friend, and that friend of course was summer itself.  And while it didn't actually become fall until the latter half of September to a kid it felt like it was just a matter of time before you knew you would be standing for an eternity at a cold bus stop on a gray autumn morning and hating life. But enough about that, let's get to some music.  We start off the week with a cool one on the College Rock riddim by the late great Prince Jazzbo.  This song is called "School" and it was originally released as a single in 1972 on Coxsone Dodd's Bongo Man label.  Good stuff!  

No comments: