Friday, January 11, 2008

Alton Ellis - Praising A Living Legend

I'm keeping it short and simple today... when I first read that Alton Ellis was about to undergo cancer treatment in London I immediately said a prayer for the man who has been revered by many as the "Godfather of Rocksteady." I then went to my music and put together an Alton Ellis mix. For once I wanted to give someone the praise they deserve while they are still among us instead of waiting until they're gone. Best wishes to Alton Ellis, his family and friends in this difficult time and I pray for a speedy and full recovery.

Here's what you're going to hear...

First we're going to hear "Cry Tough" from the 1992 Heartbeat various artists compilation set Duke Reid's Treasure Chest. Next is the tune "You Make Me Happy" from Ellis' 1967 debut album on Treasure Isle "Mr Soul Of Jamaica." Up third is another big tune borrowed from Duke Reid's Treasure Chest and its the timeless, "Girl I've Got A Date." The fourth track is "Sh-Boom (Life Could Be A Dream)" from the Alton Ellis CD compilation called Arise Blackman on the Moll Selekta label. The next tune we're gonna hear is called "We Need Love" from the Studio One LP called Showcase from the mid 70's. Taking a turn for the rub-a-dub next with the Junjo Lawes produced "Skateland Girl" from a Volcano 7" - one of my all-time favorites. The next track is "Willow Tree" lifted from the double CD set The Story Of Treasure Isle on the Metro Music label. Returning to the Arise Blackman set for the next song, it's a good one called "Sun Of Man." Our ninth tune in the mix is "Remember That Sunday" from the Trojan various artists sampler Moonwalk - Treasure Isle Skinhead Reggae Anthems. We follow that up with "How Can I" also from Arise Blackman. "La La Means I Love You," another outstanding Alton Ellis classic, lifted from The Story Of Treasure Isle set, is the next tune. "Stronger Than Before" taken from the Abraham Records LP Slummin' is the twelfth song in the mix. Going back to Studio One we've got "Can I Change My Mind" from the Heartbeat release The Best Of Studio One. We're heading back to Africa with the song "Back To Africa" from the 1992 Heartbeat various artists compilation called Lloyd Daley's Matador Productions 1968-1972. Getting toward the end we're going to hear "It's A Shame" from Blood & Fire's excellent 2001 compilation Darker Than Blue - Soul From Jamdown. Finally we wrap it up with "Loving Mood," Alton's take on Delroy Wilson's hit "Dancing Mood" from the 2005 Moll Selekta various artists CD called The Bunny Lee Rocksteady Years. Enjoy!

Alton Ellis Mix

7 comments:

Safari said...

Alton Ellis is the man.. I think he lives in Toronto now..

SixstringWordsworth said...

I hope everything goes well for him. Thanks for the mix, its awesome.

themusicologist said...

one of my favourite singers who's songs have been an inspiration for many a year. posted a 'one tune' (Massachusets - Studio1), on my musical diary when I heard.

let's hope treatment is successful

http://themusicologist.wordpress.com

themusicologist said...

p.s .. excellent tribute, thanks

Anonymous said...

big, big mix. respect due...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such beautiful stuff, imparting so much knowledge and letting us know about Alton Ellis.
I also heard Mikey Dread was being treated for a brain tumour. Any news (preferably good) would be welcome.

Anonymous said...

this mix is so smooth. thank you, distinctly jamaican sounds!