Monday, October 31, 2011

Jamaican Halloween Spooktacular 2011 - Track Twenty One - Duppyman Skank

We've arrived at Halloween and though it means the end of this years Jamaican Halloween Spooktacular, but for the kids the fun is just beginning.

Yes I've got a busy night of transportation duties for my kids again as we prepare to get some serious trick or treating done and to be honest, I couldn't be happier! I don't mind the walking, the costume repairs, or lugging the costume accessory which may become too cumbersome or heavy as the night progresses. I have fond memories of Halloween when I was a kid and I always delight in seeing the smiles on my kid's faces and their looks of accomplishment when the piles of accumulated candy hit the kitchen table. I always hope that my over-the-top enthusiasm for this holiday rubs off on them and helps encourage the kids to carry on the Halloween traditions that make this holiday something to truly anticipate and enjoy.

But enough about that, let's get to the final track in the Spooktacular! This one is called "Duppyman Skank" by Larry Marshall and it comes from a 1996 7" on Harry Mudie's Moodisc label. This tune is actually a tribute to a long list of reggae artists who are no longer among the living and a fictional dance with their duppies which would really be something to behold. Listen to this line-up... Slim Smith, Jacob Miller, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Jeff "Free-I" Dixon, General Echo, Lee Van Cliff, Lui Lepke, Tenor Saw... with King Tubby at the control? Yeah, where do I get a ticket!? Oh, and remember this... "We make music not noise!"

Enjoy and Happy Halloween everyone!

No comments: