Friday, October 24, 2014

Jamaican Halloween Spooktacular 2014 - Track Eighteen - Satan Pickney

We've reached the second to last Friday in October and that means one thing... if you haven't gotten your costume ready for Halloween by now you're seriously behind schedule!  It also means that we're up to the eighteenth track in the 2014 Jamaican Halloween Spooktacular!

This little baby, if you'll pardon the pun, is a smooth slice of late 70s dub, mixed by Sylvan Morris and from a repressed 7" on the Uprising label... I can't find any background info on the Advocates Aggregation but no matter who they were, they made some damn fine music!

I went a little sinister with the audio clip from Roman Polanski's 1969 classic film "Rosemary's Baby," based on the 1967 novel by Ira Levin, but this scene popped in my head immediately when I saw this record available for sale a month ago.  Pickney, if you are unaware, is Jamaican patois for a baby or child and there is no other satan pickney that pops immediately in my mind but Adrian from Rosemary's Baby!

As for the cover, I couldn't be more pleased with Roger Wilkerson's work on this one!  Before I actually begin mixing the Spooktacular I send Roger a playlist of the songs I'm going to use and I basically let him have free reign over what he wants to do with these titles.  I look around online for pre-code horror comics with great covers that are ripe for the customizing and try as hard as possible to match the images with the songs but I was drawing a blank on this one.  Without hesitation, Roger immediately wrote back and suggested that instead of going with a comic book cover on this one why not do a parody of the Rosemary's Baby movie poster or better yet, the paperback.  He sent me a couple images of various paperback versions of the novel but this version was perfect!  If you ever see this actual edition, you would be hard pressed to tell it apart from Roger's version... it's a dead-ringer!  And my favorite cover this year!  Thanks again Roger!!

Spooktacular Track Eighteen - Advocates Aggregation - Satan Pickney

2 comments:

nate vest said...

Thank you so much for these playlists i love Jamaican music and Halloween now i have them together.
i play these as i hand out candy

Christofari said...

Guys, I don't know who to congratulate more!
I'm digging this whole 2014 Spooktacular

... like a grave.




How are you ever going to maintain this standard????!!!!

Mind you, I was asking myself the same question last year - and the year before. ALL my respect!