Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Real Update Coming Soon... A Few Random Tracks In The Mean Time

Sorry for the lack of new posts over the last couple weeks but I was invited to spin some music at this month's DC Soundclash and I've been totally consumed with getting my stuff together. It's been years since I've done any DJing, seven years to be exact... my last DJing gig was my weekly Jamaican music program on the local college radio station and I've never spun in a live situation (at least where anyone would hear it) so as you can imagine, I'm excited and just a little nervous. But enough about that...

I just came to the realization that the last song I shared was a soca song... I've left those who have an appreciation for Jamaican music, who actually take time out of their busy lives to visit this blog with a Trinidadian soca song?! I wholeheartedly apologize and present for you listening enjoyment a few Jamaican singles that I hope to serve as my reconciliation offering.

It's quite a mixed bag and sorry for the lack of label scans but I think everyone will find something they like...

The first track is taken from a 7" on the Musical Ambassadors label by singer Edi Fitzroy. The song called "Princess Black" includes the B-side version as is one of my all-time favorite singles from the era. Next I've got a 7" by Tenor Saw called "No Work On A Sunday" on the Pressure and Slide riddim which was reissued on the Penthouse label in 1994. Third, to meet the requests I've received since I posted on Little John a couple months back is a 12" on the M&M Music label and the song is called "I Guess You Love Me Girl." The fourth song is from John Holt - a song called "Tribal War" taken from a 12" on the Channel One label. Finally is a song from the late great Dennis Brown that appeared as a Greensleeves 12" called "It's Magic." Hope you like what you hear and I'll be back soon with a real post.

A Few Singles

2 comments:

John AKA Reggaexx said...

Thanks for the big up Outta! It really shouldn't be too bad considering there will be 4 other DJs playing vintage reggae as well! Now if it was just me spinning I would have started preparing 3 months ago. :) I know I'm getting a 1/2 hour solo set and I've already prepared about 30 hours worth of music... just in case.

As for the John Holt... sorry only have the one. I'll keep an eye out for another copy! Would love to hear Little Roy's original version - I don't think I've ever heard it.

Mr. Ellington said...

Nice!!! Wicked drops!!! I have a likkle blog that some might be interested in....
mrellington.blogspot.com