Sunday, June 19, 2016

Day 232 of 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge - Roland Alphonso - Song For My Father

It's Father's Day and as expected I wanted to dedicate today's tune, the 231st in the 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge, to all the Dads!  I know that for the most part, Father's Day is secondary on the list of parental honoring holidays created by Hallmark in an effort to help fill the monetary divide between Easter and Christmas, but my Dad deserves the recognition!  He is the guy who I have always depended on when things needed fixing, when I need solid advice or when I need a helping hand.  And while he doesn't show affection the way a mother does, his love speaks through his actions and his willingness to do anything to help anybody in need.  Today's tune is "Song For My Father" by Roland Alphonso and The Beverley's All Stars, recorded and released in 1967 on the Beverley's label in J.A. and on Pyramid in the UK and of course produced by the great Leslie Kong.  And while it is a ska song, released right at the start of the rocksteady era, it has a jazzier feel than most "runaway train" ska records.  I love you Dad!  Happy Father's Day! 

No comments: