Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day 241 of 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge - Stranger & Patsy - Down The Train Line

In preparation for the preordained exodus to rest and relaxation coming up for me just three days from now, I'm inna traveling kinda mood.  It never fails that when I am mentally preparing myself for 8 hours in the car with three teenagers and a "tween" my mind starts thinking of traveling tunes and preferably something a bit soothing that will control the rage when I tell my son to stop pushing his feet against the driver's seat for the 150th time.  Today's tune fits that bill rather nicely!  Stranger and Patsy (AKA Stranger Cole and Patsy Todd) along with The Fugitives give us a smooth, yet pretty unusual rocksteady classic from 1967 called "Down The Train Line" originally released on Sonia Pottinger's Gay Feet label.  What makes this one unusual you ask?  It's the burru hand drumming carrying along the rhythm which was not commonplace at the time but in my opinion adds so much to make this song so sweet!

No comments: