Monday, June 27, 2016

Day 240 of 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge - Lester Sterling - Doing Horns

Lester Sterling AKA Mr. Versatile got his start like so many great Jamaican musicians at Alpha Boys School where he became adept at both trumpet and saxophone.  Sterling originally served as a member in studio bands and Clue J & His Blues Blasters in the late 50s and early 60s before helping to found the Skatalites.  When the Skatalites originally parted ways in 1965, Lester Sterling continued on by recording a stack of great material, joined up with Byron Lee & The Dragonaires for some time and released his first solo album Bangarang for Pama Records in 1969.  Today's tune, the 238th in the 365 Day Challenge, "Doing Horns" was recorded for Bunny Lee circa 1972 and as you'll soon hear it is in fact a tuff horn cut of the 'Doing My Thing' riddim originally popularized by Delroy Wilson on his classic cut "Doing My Own Thing."  I for the life of me can't figure out where I got today's tune, I would assume I downloaded it from some online music retailer but I can't seem to ascertain if this badass track was ever on vinyl or even if it was part of a various artists CD compilation released years later... regardless of its unknown origin, it's a nice one!

No comments: