Friday, July 01, 2016

Day 244 of 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge - The Melodies - Vacation

Speaking of the Skatalites, like we did a couple days ago, this is another one from 1964 with them doing the backing for a vocal group called The Melodies for Duke Reid.  "Vacation," a ridiculously appropriate tune for today since I'm counting down the hours until I get to do just that, was originally released on Treasure Isle in Jamaica and Ska Beat in the UK.  I am going with Melodies but I have seen just as many references of the group as the Melodites, so your guess is as good as mine about which is correct.  Also, regardless of the moniker, I am coming up short when it comes to giving you good people any background info on who they were so we'll let the music do their talking.  And with that... the next time you hear from me, which will be tomorrow on schedule of course, I'll hopefully be sitting on the beach with my feet in the sand.  

No comments: