Thursday, September 15, 2016

Day 320 of 365 Day Jamaican Music Challenge - Sharon Black - Struggling

While I'm unable to find any background information regarding today's artist Sharon Black, it's a tune like this that makes me wish I could.  "Struggling" was produced by Sonia Pottinger and released on the High Note label in 1977 and it is as much a tune about struggling as it is about rising above those struggles and fighting for justice.  I first heard "Struggling" back in 1996 when I was doing my college radio show and received a promotional copy of the Heartbeat various artists compilation Reggae Songbirds which featured a nice sampling of female vocalists at High Note.  A nice roots tune with a sweet vocal performance by Ms. Black and some pretty tuff guitar licks throughout.   

No comments: